Mapua Volleyball Team

I apologize for the minimal update of this blog, college takes a lot of time and I haven’t been able to blog because of it. In this entry I’ll talk about the Mapua Volleyball Team.

Champion Team gone Kaput.

When the Mapua Men’s Volleyball Team won their last championship in 2002, with no clue, the team was disbanded. It’s such a waste that a team that had just won a championship wouldn’t be able to participate and to defend their title the following academic year. The lone reason that I could think of is that the administration lacks the financial capacity to support athletic scholarships for the student-athletes.

Having a Volleyball Team would require at least six (6) players that can play, but no school would participate with just those amount of players, the very reasonable number of players would be around nine (9) to twelve (12). As such, providing athletic scholarships to that many students would require a handful amount of money.

Since then, the Mapua never joined the the National Collegiate Athletic Association Volleyball Tournament that is played every first semester of the academic year. You won’t find any athlete wearing the Cardinals  logo in the tournament’s three divisions:  Juniors for high school students, Seniors for male college students and Women’s for female college students from school year 2002 to 2008.

Mapua Volleyball Team in the 85th NCAA Tournament.

You read it right, after seven (7) years of absence, Mapua is going to bring in it’s student athlete’s back on the  volleyball court this coming 85th season.

But this time, it’s the girls that will shine.

Mapua is a school better known for being a male dominant school, maybe, just maybe, to boost the number of students in the distaff side, the school chose to include a team not on the men’s but on the women’s division.

I don’t know if it’s the official lineup but looking at the present players  practicing at the gymnasium,  albeit with the inclusion of a former beach volleyball player, I honestly think that they’re a little too shabby, hey, that’s just for me.  Nonetheless, I know they’re the best that the school has to offer and they’re a hard worker so they’ll be fine. They’ve got a big heart and they love the game.

For fellow Mapuans reading this article, let’s take a little look from the past, the Mapua Volleyball Team had won one (1) juniors Volleyball Championship (1978-79) and ten (10) Men’s NCAA Volleyball Championships (1960-61,1965-66,1966-67,1967-68,1968-69,1969-70,1970-71,1974-75,1997-98 and 2001-02). With 11 Championships under the Cardinals’ wings, it looks pale compared with San Sebastian’s 43 but we are still third in the league after Letran’s 24 Championships.

What can you say?

Do you think it’s a good idea that they bring back a sports team instead of planning and implementing a better athletic program for the current sporting events that Mapua currently participates?  And do you think putting up a women’s team instead of a men’s team a better idea (Just so to clear things, I’m not against having the women’s team. Quite the contrary, I’ve been longing for it.)? Share your thoughts below.

Galwin is an Internet marketer for JLF Private Pool and ITSolutions.PH. Galwin holds a Bachelor of Science in computer engineering from the Mapua Institute of Technology. He is an athlete, foodie, student of life, photography and technology enthusiast, and a travel junkie.

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Volleyball
15 comments on “Mapua Volleyball Team
  1. Gilbert says:

I am a basketball fan. And really you cannot ask me to watch a volleyball game unless it’s a womens league. Just like my friends, they too would love to watch it. So, commercial wise, i think it is better to have a womens volleyball team rather than mens volleyball team. Just an opinion.

2. I personally agree with you, Gilbert. Volleyball is fun to watch if it’s a women’s league.

3. nicole padlan says:

yun pala ang reason kung bakit nawala ang volleyball team sa mapua.anyway.sayang naman.nang hihinayang pa naman ako.gusto ko sana mag try out eh.ang daya.tanong lang.taga mapua makati ako.pwede ba ako mag try out dyan sa intramuros?

4. Hi Nicole!

Pwede. Kindly contact the Athletics Department.

5. john Rei says:

sana naman magkaMale volleyball team, gusto ko pa naman sanang maexperience maglaro for mapua, wish there are other players out there

6. dapat lng na ibalik (men and women).. member ako ng 99-2002 cardinals volleyball team. and now im coaching a univ volleyball team somewhere in baguio.

7. jullisn says:

babalik n ang mens volleyball. nagstart n campain nmin for this 86th season.

jullian batitis
    2007 beach volley player mapua
    2009 open spiker ng cardinals

8. lei says:

pwede pa bang ibalik ung men’s volleyball ng mapua? gusto ko po kasi sumali at mglaro para sa mapua… ngEntrance na po aq last April 2, 2011… pg nakapasa po ako gusto ko po sana mglaro..

9. 2002 NCAA Champ says:

Team members:

2002
    Eli, Albert, Ronald, Lee, Christian (Binoy), Jeff, Ricksie, Glen (Mariano), Allen (Carding), Neil, Jango, Mr. Maguiat.

Coaches: Jay, Budz..

10. Hello Mapua,

I am your best spyker when the Woman’s Volleybal Team first join the NCAA.1977-80 I think we have won a few but cant recall the good and the bad times. I went ot see Amang last 1998 and some of the coach.
    yes I think you should continue to join in NCAA and this time make it win? If I have time I can coach you but I am going back to be a missionary from Canada to Philippines this year.
    May pass by to say hi Mr. Fabia? You recall me? I hope to get a copy of our team . Rona and Gina and Eloisa are here in Canada Last time it was posted in the bulletin Can you send me at my FB?

11. The part about woman, yes you MUST put it back and that time we have 4 years scholarships lots of work..and efforts to win. I also think that it empowers you as a woman ,and till you get older, it never leaves your full blast energy with good health. Mapua is still the best in Eng and Architecture so why not have the best in Athlete?

12. Bumalik na po ang MAPUA WOMEN AND MEN’S VOLLEYBALL TEAM. Part po ako ng Mapua Women’s Volleyball Team ngayon. Yun nga lang, hindi ganun kalakas ang Women’s Volleyball Team ng Mapua, mahirap kasi magrecruit. Yung iba kasing narerecruit, hirap sa academics. Madalas kasi mga pumapasok na mga babae sa Mapua, either nerd, or mga walang hilig sa sports. Sa Men’s Team naman, malakas na sila, and nananalig akong may makukuha silang place this coming season. :D

13. Ronald Gelacio says:

Thanks so much for that article..this is Ronald Gelacio, Setter from 2002 Champion Team of Mapua Mens Volleyball Team..we came back last December para sa tune-up ng current Mens Volleyball Team, along with Albert Alano (Utility Spiker), Eliezar Collado (Middle Hitter-Captain Ball-MVP), Coach Jay Regala, Neil Tobias, Lee Pajarillga, Allen Cesario, William Abes, etc., I can say that we are a bit disappointed sa nakita namin at sa mga naririnig nming balita. I think lack of exposure kaya hindi din mahubog yung mga players..its been more than a decade na din pala when we captured that victory and it’s an epic game, down 7-13 Fifth Set against the powerhouse of San Sebastian, nanalo pa din tau with a score of i think 20-18, and the rest is history..Wish lng namin na sna mas mabigyan ng pansin ang ibang sports sa Mapua para ganahan din ang mga players.. God bless!

14. Denise Reyes says:

Hello po,, ako po si Denise.. Isa po akong aspiring Mapuan athlete.. ako po ay graduating student.. I am planning to take BS Civil Engineering sa MAPUA.. And dream ko din po na makalaro ng Volleyball sa MAPUA.. Kaso po nabasa ko po dun sa ads ng official website ng mapua that they only accept 16 yrsold and above.. 14 yrs old palang po ako, may kalakihan din po yung height ko.. Nakapaglaro na din po ako nung h.s. ako.. gusto ko po sanang magtraining jan kapag makapasa po ako ng entrance exam.. Masipag po ako tsaka Love ko po talaga maglaro ng Volleyball.. sana po mabigyan ako ng chance..
    Salamat po !!

15. Albert Alano says:

Hi.. I am Albert Alano, one of the member of the Mapua V-ball team who won the NCAA title 2001 – 2002.

I still believe na sa mga susunod na NCAA season ay magiging contender na uli tayo sa NCAA. Magiging team-to-beat tayo. Kailangan lang masuportahan ang team. Madaling mahubog ang mga student athlete ng Mapua. Matatalino hindi lang sa academic.

Pero alam nyo guys, Kung nangungulelat man ang V-ball team ng MIT ngayon at maaring pinagtatawanan tayo ng ibang NCAA teams na powerhouse,,,,, Huh!! bahala sila magtawa, kasi pagdating ng araw at mga Engineers na kayo… Tingnan natin kung sino ang tatawa :-) … Silang powerhouse noonn maaring “utusan” na lang natin sa mga kumpanyang pinapasukan natin… :-)

Viva Mapua!!